Sunday 11 September 2016

Schumman PLL clone with add-ons

Took about 3 months from start to finish. Reading around the web, researching all connections and different parts, search for said parts. Huge enclosure, AC power supply (instead of the usual DC for pedals), trying to design the best way to fit everything in there. Everything finally came together for my biggest project yet.

P(hase) L(ock) L(oop) will take any signal given from guitar/bass/keys etc. The main feature is making it into a square wave, distortion-like sound and then multiplying and diving it. With so many options about how to deal with the signal, you'll need quite a few hours of experimentation to learn how it really works and what it really can do.

Like that wasn't enough, good old Mr Schumman also launched two add-on pedals with extra functions. Here are all three of them by Schumman electronics.

The Drone, divided in two sides, produces a sine wave for each side witch can then be applied to the main sound.
The Moment is an extra control for the divider and multiplier functions. You can either interrupt or enable them while pressing the momentary footswitch.

Well, I got 'em all in one box. :D Can't really describe what that sounds like and what you can create with it, we'll have to wait for the demo video.

Due to the huge size it isn't as beautiful as I would like it to be. I must have printed and applied decals more than 6 times before I was (kinda) happy with the outcome, and believe me, it is a process that takes time. Enough talk, here it is.




5 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Very clean wiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I'm Betteroffshred from tagboard and I'm starting to research this project, I was hoping you could share some of your info with me, such as what box you used, what layout, where the mod layouts came from etc? I've seen Alex's layout, and I just recently came across Dinos layout too. Anyway thanks for sharing, it's an impressive project.
    -Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I remember looking up the enclosure size to reply to your forum comment, but I didn't manage to find out what it was or where I got it. I would surely use a smaller one if I did it again though, this one was too tall. Used Alex's layout, not familiar with the other one. The layouts were cross-referenced with some schems I found online with various pictures I found, and luckily enough they seem correct. That's all for now, feel free to ask for anything specific, can't promise I'll be able to help out thoug, I've forgotten about most of the details :)

      Delete
    2. Great! Well thanks for the offer of help! I'll probably just look at hammond enclosures after I lay out a footprint on paper. I may try to use 9mm pots where I can to cut down on footprint. It has a lot of pots and I want to add both mods to the enclosure like you did. It's kind of a give and take because I want to label it and use regular size knobs so it's actually readable, but I dont want to mount it in a cake pan either haha. Well thanks again. I'll be in touch! -Brett

      Delete